Thinking Out Loud: A Reason to Celebrate

Cover image source

Happy Thinking Out Loud Thursday!

I promise I’ll continue with my “Going Hungry” series in the coming weeks…but I’m in too good of a mood to dwell on the unhappy past right now.

Why am I in a good mood?DSCN0855 (2)My FODMAP re-tests are officially over, which means I can start eating more like a “normal” person again…hooray! At least, it means I don’t need to continue following such strict rules. I still think I’ll want to be careful with fructan grains in large quantities (wheat, barley, rye and oats), I can’t tolerate more than a little lactose, and fructose and sorbitol are solidly out. (Sorry, peaches, apples, watermelon, plums, asparagus, sugar snap peas, and honey. I’ll miss you.)

But guess what’s (potentially) in?!!

Moderate amounts of wheat, larger servings of oats, onion and garlic, mushrooms, cauliflower, almonds, hazelnuts, dates, hummus, potentially legumes like lentils, black beans and split peas, butternut squash, beets, pumpkin, edamame, products containing inulin or chicory root (read: granola bars), brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, raisins, celery, snow peas, sweet potato, grapefruit, artichokes…

DSCN0510

Looking forward to celebrating with oatmeal pancakes

Yes, I’ve been restricting all these things (and more) from my diet for over a year in order to identify the true culprits of my dietary distress.

The next step of the process will require a bit of finagling to figure out if my tummy can handle, for instance, black beans and onion together, or sweet potato and brussels sprouts, or as the case may be.

Still…it’s an exciting new chapter down a new path.10330339_10152252579573149_1293026203715128998_nThe two things I’m most looking forward to going out and buying?

A gluten-free frozen pizza, and Luna bars. I’ve missed you, Luna bars!

Look for a new recipe coming up this weekend!

1. kate says:

This is awesome! I am so excited for you! Restricting anything is never fun, but I am glad you’ve been able to to narrow it down. Enjoy it all 😀

Thanks, Kate! It certainly is exciting!

2. torako says:

can’t you just take lactaid for the lactose stuff? i’m just lactose intolerant but i’ve been just taking a pill every time i have dairy since like… high school. i dunno, better than giving up cheese. 🙂

Hey Laura, I’ve thought about that. I can eat cheese, fortunately (it’s low enough in lactose that it’s fine), and I also use lactose-free milk on my cereal, lactose-free yogurt and ice cream. I’ve never heard of anyone else with IBS having success with Lactaid in pill form, but I should look into it more.
      Good to hear from you, by the way.

1. torako says:

huh, i wonder why that is. i think you might be able to get lactaid as like a powder to put on stuff but maybe not anymore? i never tried it tbh.

for me it’s just regular lactose intolerance, i just realized at some point in high school that when i avoided dairy, i didn’t get stomach aches every morning XD

thanks! 🙂

3. Being on a restricted diet stinks!! Coming from experience (gluten and dairy allergies) I feel your pain and frustration, literally 😉 I think I would probably die without peaches, watermelon, asparagus, etc. Enjoy that gluten free pizza!! Hopefully this new chapter of life will be much better (and tastier) 🙂

The thing I will say about peaches, watermelon, asparagus, and things like that is that they’re only in season part of the year and it’s safe to assume that they’re not in most things (as opposed to wheat and dairy, which can be tricky.) Thanks for the words of encouragement! I hear you–food allergies and intolerances can be very painful.

WOOO HOOO!!! This is SO exciting.
    But, I have questions. Is this just because of a certain time allotment? Or with all of your testing have you discovered these things don’t bug your stomach? Do you feel like you have actually found “the culprits?”
    Oh please please buy yourself whatever treat you are craving (and can now have) and make yourself the most fabulous oat pancakes! 🙂

I guess I could have clarified this better in my post. It’s so complicated….
      I’ve systematically re-tested FODMAPs (which are specific kinds of carbohydrates, namely GOS, fructan vegetables, fructan fruits, fructan grains, fructose, lactose, mannitol, and sorbitol.) I am inferring, based on the fact that four out of eight of those tests were successful (and one was inconclusive) that I can probably tolerate foods that are known to be higher in fructans, GOS, and mannitol, but probably not so much on the fructose, lactose and sorbitol.
      If you’re curious, I wrote a post about it a little bit, here: http://www.thehungrycaterpillar.net/2016/03/24/thinking-out-loud-why-re-testing-fodmaps-is-hard/
      and there is also a great explanation of how the process works here: https://www.alittlebityummy.com/ibs-help/how-to-re-challenge-and-reintroduce-fodmaps/
      Thanks so much for the encouraging words!