25 Days of Christmas, Abridged

I have some more serious posts with more serious (and controversial) thoughts about health and body planned–but I thought I might wait with those until after Christmas. While it’s still the holidays, I thought I’d do something fun and light-hearted–and this 25 Days of Christmas survey that Amanda shared last week seemed just the thing! I abridged mine, since 25 answers was a lot to slog through (and some of my answers were boring.)

Favorite Christmas Movie: A Charlie Brown Christmas

Your 2016 Christmas wish list: I asked Santa for long socks and a new pair of cycling shorts.

When/how did you learn that Santa wasn’t real?: This one’s kinda funny. I actually believed Santa was real until I was 12. Yup. 12 years old. I think it was more an act of willpower than anything else. Then my grandpa was talking to my mom one day in the kitchen, and he said, “Well, if you believe that, you’d have to be dumb enough to still believe in Santa Claus.” Mom looked at me pointedly.

Favorite Christmas song: “Greensleeves.” I also really like “The Holly and the Ivy.” Guess I’m a traditionalist.

Best gift you’ve ever received: Hard to say. I got a fleece vest last Christmas, or maybe two Christmases ago, that I wear basically all the time.

Your favorite tree ornament: My grandma (also my namesake) made this angel. We put it at the top of our tree every year.Most memorable Christmas: Hm. Maybe the Christmas we went to the Christmas Eve service in a blizzard and got stuck going up a hill on the way back to our house. A lot of people will stuck on that hill. I don’t remember how we managed to get home, but we did somehow.

Post a picture of Christmas decor: My sweetie and I found this beauty when we toured his neighborhood last weekend. Literally every square inch of the facade of the house was covered in Christmas lights.There is such a thing as too much, friends.

Favorite holiday scent: The Christmas tree!

Real or artificial tree: See previous

Favorite Christmas book: I do like Tomie DePaola’s Christmas Remembered.The best gift you’ve given: Hard to say, but last year when I gave my brother a thermos with the Starfleet Insignia that said, “Tea. Earl Grey. Hot,” he said it was the best present he’d ever gotten. So maybe that?

Hardest person to buy for: Grandpa. Everyone gives him cherry cordials because no one knows what else to get him. And then he gets grouchy because he has like 10 boxes of cherry cordials.

Post a picture of an old Christmas card: My mom’s friend sends us beautiful homemade cards every year.

Favorite stocking stuffer: Clementines, oranges, grapefruit. Oh, my!

Favorite Christmas tradition: Driving around the neighborhood with my parents and looking at Christmas lights.

Your turn! Pick one of these categories and tell me about in the comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tagged under: , ,

1. Clementines are such a cute stocking stuffer idea! Why havent I ever thought of that?! Love Charlie Brown Christmas!

Citrus is a very traditional stocking stuffer. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Fruit in a stocking?! That’s a great idea! Charlie Brown is our favorite album. We have to listen to it every morning!

Marry (almost) Christmas!

I sang my first solo when I was 12. It was Greensleeves, not the Christmas carol, but the folk song that begins, “Alas, my love” It was for a Girl Scout program. I don’t think I was nervous. I had a good strong voice. That was the beginning of my solo career, in church and school, as well as my singing in groups. Singing in the Episcopal Church choirs was always a good experience. The songs were beautiful and I often sang alto and tenor. I could and sstill can read music. I loved to sing, but now my voice is gone. I do have good memories of singing, though.

Long socks. Hmm.

That does sound like a joy–I didn’t realize you’d sang alto and tenor, but I do remember that you went to college to study voice at first.

4. Claire B. says:

Oh my goodness, that house is crazy! I cannot imagine putting all of the time in to do that, haha. I actually stopped believing in Santa when I was four, BEFORE my parents were planning to tell me–I wandered downstairs to get some water and found my parents wrapping gifts, oops. ๐Ÿ˜›

That’s funny–I’ll bet at age 4, that’d be a pretty big disappointment. Yeah, my boyfriend says he thinks the neighbor just leaves their lights up year-round–I can’t imagine doing all that work, either.

Mmmm the smell of the Christmas Tree. And the orange in the bottom of the stocking – a must have here (I’m surprised the first two ladies never heard of this!). I have many a memory of getting stuck or sliding down hills on Christmas Eve. We always drive around the town cemetery that is all lit up with ice candles, and some years have been quiiiite the event going up and down the hills. Worth it though. Its beautiful.
    Lol at your Grandpa. Poor Grandpa.
    Merry Christmas m’lady!! Much love!

Merry Christmas to you too Cora!

I got a really cute vest last year too! ๐Ÿ™‚ And that house all lighted up makes me smile so much; my favorite Christmas tradition is definitely reading the awesome story of the Lord Jesus Christ in Luke or Matthew and then opening presents. Merry Christmas Joyce!

Merry Christmas, Emily!