12 Low-FODMAP, Low-Sugar Snack Ideas for IBS

Far be it from me to tell you not to eat sugar! Anyone who reads my blog knows I’m a big believer in eating foods that you enjoy and not feeling guilty about it.

But I won’t deny that more and more studies are finding that excess sugar can be hard on the digestive system, which is not good for anyone, and especially not people with IBS. Eating a couple sweet things most days is one thing, but I’ll admit I often eat sweetened hot cereal or a baked good for breakfast, and, when I get snacky between meals, Hobbit that I am, I find myself reaching for sweetened snacks like yogurt, hot chocolate, chai, or more baked goods. Plus I always have dessert.

It’s also worth noting that replacing added sugar with artificial sweeteners is just as hard if not harder on digestive health. It doesn’t impact blood sugar, sure, but if your goal is to improve your digestion, using artificial sweeteners could have the opposite effect.

I don’t feel guilty enjoying a sweetened Greek yogurt or granola bar as a mid-morning snack. And I have no intentional of foregoing my daily dessert; don’t worry. But I am trying to be mindful about keeping lower-sugar alternatives on hand, as well.

So I’m putting together a list of snack ideas that are low in added sugar. If you, too, have digestive issues and are looking for some lower-sugar snack alternatives, I hope you’ll find this list useful!

Linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday to share these ideas with you.

1. Gluten-free pretzels with peanuts or other nuts
  2. Lactose-free cottage cheese with low-FODMAP fruit or veggies
  3. Baby carrots with natural peanut butter. Look for brands with no added sweeteners, or grind your own.
  4. Hard cheese and low-FODMAP crackers, like almond thins or rice thins
  5. Fresh low-FODMAP fruit, such as bananas, oranges, strawberries, or kiwi. While fruit of course contains sugar, the fiber supposedly helps mitigate some of the effect it can have on your digestion. Add cheese or nuts for extra staying power.
  6. Low-FODMAP veggies with low-FODMAP hummus. Good options for veggies include baby carrots, sliced radishes, sliced bell pepper, or small amounts of cherry tomatoes.
  7. Quinoa chips or corn chips with low-FODMAP salsa
  8. Low-sugar, low-FODMAP cereal (such as Cheerios) with lactose-free milk
  9. Hard-boiled eggs. Add fruit, veggies, or crackers for something more substantial.
  10. Green smoothie made with unsweetened almond milk, one frozen banana, fresh spinach, and 1 tsp. flaxseed
  11. Popcorn. Top with Parmesan, nutritional yeast, or simply salt.
  12. Rice cakes with natural peanut butter

What are your go-to snacks?

1. These are great snack ideas! It is so easy to have a bunch of sugar sneak into your diet. I am actually doing Whole 30 right now and one of my big motivators was to kind of cut the cord with sugar. I think dessert is necessary at times, but it is easy to fall into the habit of having sweet all day.

Dessert is definitely necessary in my camp. But I’m trying to keep variety in mind, too.

Before I knew of your blog and the Die Hard Foodie’s blog I didn’t really know that much about how FODMAP foods can affect people with IBS. I haven’t been officially diagnosed with IBS, but I do know that an excess of FODMAP foods does really not do well on my stomach. I’m thankful to actually be working with a dietitian right now to possibly, if the Lord wills, heal my digestive system, so the High FODMAP foods won’t affect my digestive system as much. It’s interesting that all of us were designed so differently, and that some foods that are really healthy for some can be really hard on other people’s digestive systems. πŸ™‚

I love sweets, but it’s so good to keep a balance. πŸ™‚

I so hope your work with the dietitian goes well, Emily! It’s useful to know personal trigger foods, but it’s so nice to be able to mitigate symptoms without having to give anything else. It is fascinating how different people’s bodies respond so differently to different foods.

3. Bethany says:

An apple with nut butter has been my go to snack lately. I also love a Quest bar way too much.

Yes! Apples are a no-go for me, but I’ve been all about the bananas and nut butter.

Mmm good list. I’m surprised/happy to see I’m not the only one who likes carrots with peanut butter. My healthy snack of choice would probably be rice cakes with peanut butter, a whole milk latte, or homemade granola bars

Carrots with peanut butter > carrots with hummus! It’s actually one of those things I “discovered” through reading blogs.

5. MMM! I love me some berries, coconut yogurt, and granola in the summer time. Also love avocado on rice cakes or smoothies!

I’ve never tried avocado on rice cakes. That sounds amazing!

6. Though I had heard IBS mentioned on a few blogs here and there years ago already it has only been through your posts that I actually got a better idea of them. As you said you wanted to share more about this topic: I’m definitely interested.
    One of my favourite snacks: shredded carrots with some cereal, doused in coconut or almond milk. Don’t knock it before you try it ;).

7. Kat says:

Oh my gosh popcorn – I could eat it all day and every day!
    Current favorite snack though is rice cakes topped with peanut butter and a square of dark chocolate πŸ™‚ OH and cantelope. I’m eating allll the melons right now!

Oh my gosh. Me too. Last week I went through two cantaloupe in one week. Just myself. πŸ˜›

8. Lisa says:

Thank you for this- got a few more snacks to add to my rotation now!

I’m glad to help, Lisa! I took a quick look at your blog–I’m always so glad when I find a fellow FODMAPer. πŸ™‚

I love carrots and peanut butter! I love these ideas. Need to stock up on some cottage cheese.