Camping!

Hey hey! If you’ve noticed I’ve been absent for a little while from the blog universe (and in general)…I’ve been camping!

The Fuzzy Face and I went for our second camping trip, this time to southern Wyoming.

We stayed at the Curt Gowdy State Park, about halfway between Laramie and Cheyenne and very close to a small section of the Medicine Bow National Forest. A local informed us that Curt Gowdy wasn’t a real wilderness experience…but I thought it was beautiful. And I like having a place to take a shower. We set up our tent near one of three reservoirs in the park.

We took a couple hiking excursions into the national forest. First, we went to the Happy Jack Recreation Area not far from where we were staying. The wildflowers especially were beautiful!

The second day we drove up into the mountains west of Laramie. We got out of the car for a short walk around Mirror Lake, but there were still several feet of snow in places, and it was cold! I piled on every jacket I had, and the Fuzzy Face lent me his wool socks. We were so high in elevation that the clouds covered the mountain peaks!

For food, a lot of our meals were lots of snacks. I ate a lot of Clif Bars and beef jerky. I bought a little camp stove, too, so we were able to make tea, some lentil soup, and grits.

One night we went to a bar and grill in a little town up the road. It was a very Wyoming experience–the Fuzzy Face got a great big steak, and I went for chicken and mashed potatoes. The salad course especially hit the spot. And, of course, each evening we had a beautiful campfire after a beautiful sunset. I also made these gluten-free graham crackers (with maple syrup subbed in for the honey) so that we could have s’mores. The graham crackers were delicious, although I have to admit, no matter how good the graham crackers and chocolate, I’ve always liked plain ole roasted marshmallows best!

No pictures unfortunately because it was too dark–but the Fuzzy Face did get some great sunset pics. Now that we’re back, I’m both glad to be home and sad it’s over.

Linking up with Meg to share my camping adventures for a little Week in Review.

Favorite place to go camping?

Favorite camping activity?

What an awesome trip! Mirror Lake looks freezing but gorgeous 🙂 And that sunset…nature knows how to put on a show. How do you eat your roasted marshmallows? Barely toasty, golden brown, or black? I hope it was a refreshing trip for you.

Golden brown all the way!

Holy man talk about a drastic change in weather and geography! That’s incredible! I would have hated the cold but seeing the clouds and the mountains would have been breathtaking

So jealous but so happy you two got out to do this. Nothing beats living off jerky and grits in the open air.

Fortunately only a little bit of it was cold. And yes, the mountains are gorgeous. If you ever get the chance to come to Colorado I’ll take you up there in a heartbeat. 🙂

I was wondering why your blog has been quiet!

I have sadly never been camping 🙁 I have been meaning to go even for a couple of days and those gorgeous photos of yours are making me want to even more. 🙁 All that warm food seems perfect for the cold. Hard to imagine it’s that cold in Wyoming even in June. Weather is a crazy thing to me.

Fortunately it was only cold at that really high elevation. Plenty of warm sun and beautiful landscapes. I hope you get a chance to go camping sometime. It definitely lets you enjoy some beautiful places on a budget, and just the experience of cooking food on a camp stove, having a campfire, sleeping in a tent, etc. is pretty fun!

4. Heather says:

Now I really want to go camping! As far as campgrounds go, that one looks good to me! It seems like so often you’re cramped and way too close to your neighbors. I miss camping in Colorado so much – more space and you never know if there might be snow. Ha!

Colorado is definitely a beautiful place to camp! So many cool (and cool ❄️) places to go.

5. Welcome back! And what a lovely trip, whether it’s true camping or not. Pfft what do the locals know? I say if you sleep in a tent, it counts.

The flowers and the sunsets were beautiful. Also, I’m with you. I prefer roasted marshmallows all by themselves the best.

Happy Monday and wonderful to see you linking up.

Glad to find someone else who shares my opinions about marshmallows. 😉

6. Hannah says:

Unless I’m backpacking, I prefer camping that isn’t a “real” wilderness experience. There is lots of dispersed camping around here, but I think I still prefer campgrounds.

so so beautiful – the scenery and everything! glad you had fun. I have been wanting to go camping or backpacking. Just haven’t had the time!