Drinking and Drugs

My life has involved a lot of drinking and drugs lately.

I’ve been hitting ’em hard: smoothies, juice, protein shakes, ibuprofen, antibiotics, and soup. Lots and lots of soup.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. I did just a local anesthetic. It wasn’t exactly a pleasant procedure–some moments were actually quite unpleasant–but I still don’t regret doing the local anesthetic, considering the price difference. Six hundred bucks for forty-five minutes of full anesthesia? Seriously?

The most alarming thing about the surgery (stop reading or skip ahead if you’re squeamish) was how much I bled. I was spitting straight blood out into the sink for like six hours after the surgery and didn’t completely stop bleeding for almost twenty-four hours.

It’s been a very quiet weekend since then. I watched a movie and some Downton Abbey and some Star Trek, read blogs, took a couple short walks and some long naps, etc. My roommate gave me rides to and from the procedure and looked after me for the first half a day, and then the Fuzzy Face came up Thursday night and stayed through Sunday. He even brought me flowers!

So thankful to have these awesome people to help me out when I need it!

I’ve been taking scores of pills. I already take a couple as part of my regular routine, and then I threw in ibuprofen, an antibiotic, and prescription pain killer on top. Plus, I’ve been using an antiseptic mouth wash several times a day. My kitchen table looks like a pharmacy!As you’d expect, I could only eat liquids and very soft foods at first. The surgeon advised me, though, to make sure I was continuing to eat plenty, and especially plenty of protein. These Odwalla protein shakes have totally hit the spot, especially right after the surgery!I’ve also been doing a lot of yogurt and smoothies. Scrambled eggs have worked well for breakfast.I was rather proud of myself for making a couple of homemade soups so that I could get my veggies in alongside the yogurt and protein shakes. This broccoli potato soup with pesto from Clean Eats, Fast Feets is really, really good. I’ll definitely be making it again. Pictured here alongside tuna salad for protein.I also made a cauliflower-cheese soup that I used to make a lot as an undergrad.For carbs, I mashed up what I thought was a sweet potato, until I peeled it and discovered it was a yam. Mashed with butter, of course!

V8’s also helped me get some veggies in. I didn’t used to like V8, but the low-sodium version is actually pretty tasty.As of me writing this (Sunday evening), I’m afraid I’m still having a lot of pain in one of the sockets. I’m a smidgen worried–planning to call the surgeon’s office and asked what they think.

In the meantime, I have been doing a little more with foods that actually require some chewing–still soft, though. I got a couple of frozen meals, including the Tandoor Kitchen palaak paneer and a Blake’s gluten-free chicken pot pie. Today I’ve also been feeling up for more activity. I can’t drive because I’ve still been taking the narcotic pain killer a couple times a day, but the Fuzzy Face took me on a couple errands in the afternoon. I redeemed a voucher for a free plant at a local greenhouse I won from doing the library summer reading program.Ain’t it cute?

I also felt safe enough to snack on some strawberries after we returned from our errands. It just now occurs to me the seeds might be an issue though. Hm.It was my roommate’s birthday, so we celebrated with ice cream at the local ice cream shop and walked around Old Town.

Now that the weekend’s over, I’m ready to return to life as usual. Living the invalid life on the couch gets old quick!

My overall assessment about having wisdom teeth removed: it’s not been the worst experience of my life, but I’m glad I never have to do it again.

Also linking up with Laura for Jenn’s good ole WIAW.

Have you ever had your wisdom teeth removed? How long did it take you to recover?

Tagged under: , , ,

1. oh man I’ll never forget getting my wisdom teeth out–so rough!! 🙁 Here’s to fast healing! Enjoy those liquid foods and drugs haha!

Thanks, Heather! After reading your post about labor and delivery, a tooth extraction seems like small potatoes in comparison. So here’s to fast healing for both of us. And thank goodness for modern medicine–drugs and all.

Ugh no I havnt and I pray I never will. It’s not something that runs in my family so I’m really hoping that continues. Sure glad you had your roommate and fuzzy face to keep you company and take you out. Id go crazy. And not just because of all the drugs. Good job making the homemeade soups!!

Lucky duck! You and my mom. Big mouths. 😉

3. Ooo glad that’s over. I haven’t had my wisdom teeth removed yet, and I’m not looking forward to it. Meg’s soup looks super delicious, and the pot pie reminds me of my childhood. Is the pain still bad?

Thanks for asking, Vangie. I went in to the surgeon today, and they gave me a little medicated dressing that has helped the pain a *ton.* And yes, Meg’s soup is amazing. I very much recommend it!

4. Kat says:

Ugh – glad its over girl! I haven’t had mine out yet actually – which probably isn’t that great but o-well! I’m hoping the pain meds are going to start kicking in for you and that you heal quickly.

Did you have them ALL removed AT ONCE!?? Eek!! Luckily mine aren’t impacted. Thank you for that warning by the way! I am one of those squeamish types.
    Despite being in pain, looks like you were able to still get nourished adequately and deliciously might I had. Sometimes soups can be sad but those are definitely not sad soups. I am also eyeing that mashed yam!
    Glad you were able to lay low with blog reading, TV watching and lounging. 🙂 And those flowers! How sweet!

I did have all four removed at once. And if you do have to have yours removed btw, you’ll be pleased to know that my two non-impacted ones were much easier to remove than my two impacted ones and have healed up really quickly, as well.
      These soups were not sad at all–they were delicious!

6. Awww, that’s no fun. Hope you’re able to feel better super soon! Great job on the soups–they look delicious. And that plant is adorable!

Ain’t it cute!? Plants are a perfect summer reading prize imo!

Ooh all the food here looks good, but I hope your body heals soon. I’m thankful God gave our bodies so many different ways to heal and so many different soft, drinkable, eatable foods when we can’t eat hard foods. 🙂 Your scrambled eggs look so super duper fluffy too.

Thanks, Em. I’ve been super-thankful for soft food options, too. I’ve discovered the secret to really fluffy scrambled eggs is to put nothing in them. Salt, pepper, eggs, and nothing else!

8. Oh goodness, girl, that sounds like a horrible wisdom teeth removal! Anything regarding procedures in my mouth is making me anxious beforehand already and right now, too.
    Good job on resting and feeding yourself though I’m sure you would have liked doing a million other things better than that. Fingers crossed you’ll be off your drugs and back to regular food soon. Not that the soups didn’t sound tasty, though.

I remember that you had some mouth issues a little while back too. I hope that’s been going better for you. <3