Birthday Weekend

Today’s my birthday! And I had a few lovely surprises this year.

First, my folks decided just a couple of weeks ago that they were going to come visit.

Second, I found out on Thursday that I’d have Friday off from work.

My folks got in in the afternoon on Thursday, so we celebrated their arrival with a trip to Coopersmiths, a local brewpub, for burgers. I got a bison burger with cheese on a gluten-free bun and a salad–not because there’s anything wrong with fries, but because the salads are Coopersmiths are amazing! No picture. I know I’m having a good time when I forget to photograph my food.

Friday morning I did my own chores while my folks went on their bikes, and in the afternoon, Mom and I headed to Old Town for a couple errands and ice cream at Walrus! I did salted caramel on a gluten-free cone and Mom did orange chocolate with a chocolate-dipped cone.In the evening, we had purchased tickets to go to the Colorado Shakespeare Festival down in Boulder for The Taming of the Shrew. I had heard that it was set in 1940’s New York City and there would be swing dancing.In fact, there was only a little bit of dancing at the very end. Still, it was a really enjoyable production; I hadn’t seen a live show in ages, even though I used to be that kid who was in every single production from kindergarten through high school. And the outdoor theater was really neat! The actors came out on stage in character and did little pantomime vignettes before the production started and during the intermission.Although we got back super-late, I could not sleep in to save my life. In the morning, Mom and I got out for a lovely bike ride.In the afternoon, we worked on installing a new little basket for my commuting bike. My “Frankenbike,” as we call it, referring to the way we assembled it out of a frame we bought on Craigslist and parts from old bikes.A great improvement! I’m so excited to take it on errands!

My folks suggested we check out a new brewery. (Fort Collins supposedly has the most micro-breweries of any town in the U.S.–and it’s not even that big of a town!) I’m not a beer drinker–I frankly just don’t like it–but I still think the beers were a beautiful color. Mom got an IPA on the bottom with a raspberry saison on top. How beautiful is that!In the evening we played the “list game”: sort of like DIY Scattergories. The Fuzzy Face and I have been big on games lately; Smash Up is our new favorite.

Sunday my folks headed back; I helped the Fuzzy Face with some errands, ran some laundry, did a little work on some errands, and caught up on some blog reading.

Despite being the actual day of my birth, Monday I think is not going to involve much celebrating, although my roommate did offer to take me out for cake or cupcakes. I might have to take her up on that. πŸŽ‚

Sharing my little weekend review with Meghan this week.

What were your high school hobbies?

Favorite board/card game?

Cake or cupcakes?

1. Happy birthday! What a fun way to celebrate! I think my favorite board games are Scattegories and Scrabble. πŸ™‚

2. Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you had a great day πŸ™‚

My favorite board game is probably Clue. I have so much fun playing that with friends.

And I’d choose a cupcake πŸ™‚ they’re more fun to eat!

Thanks, Marina! I haven’t played Clue in a long time–that is a fun one. πŸ™‚

I’m glad your parents were able to be there. It sounds like a good time was had by all. High school hobbies? Singing, reading every book in the library that I could get my hands on, walking down to Spring River to explore.

Board games? I like Apples to Apples and the one we often play at Christmas, maybe it’s Scattegories. I used to Trivial Pursuit a lot, but I haven’t done that in years.

It doesn’t surprise me that you were a big reader.

Happy birthday!!! Your weekend sounds like it was a wonderful celebration of the wonderful person you are. Glad your parents could come to visit! I love that you and your mom go on bike rides and out for ice cream. My parents aren’t keen on board games(crazy, I know), so I rarely have anyone to play with unless I can convince my dad to play chess or checkers with me.

Oooh and I’m a cake fan. Chocolate to be precise. Or carrot.

My parents aren’t huge board games either, but they’re open to the idea. πŸ™‚

5. Happy Birthday Joyce! So lovely to see you in the link up, and I’m thrilled you had a wonderful visit with your family, filled with pretty beer (your moms anyway), tasty eats, outdoor theater and lovely bike rides. It sounds pretty perfect.

I wasn’t always a beer drinker (and even now I’m particular) but I do love ciders and ginger beer….something to think about trying. Also, both are gluten free.

I am so not a beer drinker either… just not fond of the taste! that is a pretty color though. I’m glad you had a great weekend though love. I hope you have the best birthday!! You deserve it <3
    and cake or cupcakes? BOTH πŸ™‚

Good answer πŸ˜‰

7. Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Jamie!

Happy belated birthday joyce!!! I’m very glad to see – through instagram- that you did get yourself some official birthday cake, candles and all. Even if these other treats and outings with your parents were absolutely Devine, a birthday just isn’t a birthday without at least one candle.

So glad your parents came down for a visit. And you went to see shakespeare!! Be still my heart!! Outdoor summer shakespeare is my favorite thing in the world. Hope the good vibes continue with you this week. <3

9. Happy late birthday! It’s so wonderful that your parents were able to visit it! And yummmm, salted caramel ice cream.

Taming of the Shrew set in the ’40s? That sounds so fun and interesting! The amphitheater is beautiful!

Summer bike rides are the best. And I love that you call your bike “Frankenbike”. There’s something about riding my bike to run errands that makes me feel like I’m on vacation in a beach town in Maine or somewhere. Random, but it just seems like something you’d do while vacationing in Maine.

I’m a cake fan, though I won’t say no to a cupcake. I’ll take anything chocolate, carrot, or coconut.

A belated happiest of birthdays to you!!! Looks like you had a busy but fun-filled weekend to celebrate. Family time always helps me so it was nice that your parents could be there with you.
    Boy do I feel that sleeping in comment. The morning person in me just can’t disappear.
    Oooh, that Taming of the Shrew production you watched sounds similar to the Shakespeare in the Park I saw a few weeks back. I saw Merry Wives of Windsor and it was set in India in the 1940s. Had no idea that changing the setting and era was a common thing to do for these types of plays! I loved the outdoor theater environment too!
    Definitely cake > cupcakes for me! And like Naomi, I like a carrot or a good chocolate cake.

11. Leave it to me to be the last one to say it but: Happy belated birthday, Joyce! Your birthday weekend honestly sounds like the best mix of things. Outdoor theather, bike rides, ice cream, game night and just hanging out with loved ones in general – that would be my ideal birthday celebration.
    Also, your ‘Frankenbike” sounds amazing. How cool you pieced it together yourself – if that’s not one of a kind, I don’t know what would be.
    My favourite board game would be ‘Karriere’ (so ‘career’ in English), a super old and fun one from my dad’s youth. It’s unfortunately not produced anymore and ours is on the brink of falling apart, too.