25 Things for 25 Years

Alyssa of the wonderful blog Blissful Lyss did a post recently about having passions other than fitness and food. Not only is it a wonderful post, but it boils down, I think, what so many of us are trying to do in this community: to create/re-establish/celebrate an identity that’s apart from our desire to control our bodies, and to encourage others to do the same.

In honor of Lyss’s post, I thought it might be fun for you, my lovely readers, to know a little more about me that you might not know. Because, I do, indeed, have an identity beyond this blog, beyond my history with disordered eating, beyond the workouts I do and the food I eat, beyond my digestive disorder. All those things are important to me for various reasons, but they’re not who I am.

And because I recently turned 25, I thought it might be fun to share 25 little factoids about myself for 25 years of life.(But first one more food thing: my roommate got me this gorgeous gluten-free birthday cake. It was divine!)

****

1. I was named after my grandmother, who died very young.

2. As an undergraduate, I was a German minor. If I’d completed six more credit hours, I would have been a major.

3. Dogs are fine. They just aren’t cats.

4. I collect the Annual Collectible Teapot and Tea Calendar.5. I’m a decent swing dancer but pretty bad for someone who’s been doing it for seven years.

6. I’ve only traveled to two countries outside of the United States: the United Kingdom and Germany.

7. All members of my immediate family graduated from and now work for the same university.

8. For my sixteenth birthday, I got one ear pierced. I still only have one ear pierced.

9. I identify as agnostic.

10. My favorite lessons to teach are the grammar lessons.

11. I have been a cow for three Halloweens and Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for three Halloweens.

12. My high school had multiple class valedictorians, and I was one of them.

14. I frequently get mistaken for a teenager and sometimes younger.

15. I long ago lost track of how many times I’ve read the Harry Potter books.

16. Besides Harry Potter, I actually don’t much care for fantasy literature.

13. I turn into a pumpkin at midnight (e.g. I’m not a night owl.)

17. I once ran a straightener through my hair and it made no difference whatsoever.

18. I spend change.

19. My favorite color is pink.20. My eyes are green.

21. If I hadn’t been an English major or a German major, my third choice would have been Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

22. I frequently start singing without realizing I’m singing unless someone else joins in.

23. I never dated anyone until I turned 21.

24. I really like coupons.

25. I have zero ability to watch horror movies.

Your turn! Tell me something (unrelated to food or fitness) that I might not know about you.

Now I want to know the rest of the 16 year old ear piercing story. Did you go in thinking you’d only get one done…?

And yes. There is way, way, way more to you – and any of us – than these other elements that sometimes rule the themes of our posts. And its so wonderful and refreshing to learn about them.

Yes–I fully intended to get one ear pierced. I thought I was very cool and alternative. Now I know I was cool but maybe trying a little too hard to be alternative.

You probably know everything about me by now. However, I started college as a music major, then switched to English because I hated to practice singing in the practice rooms. I was president of the Future Teachers of America in high school. I also debated in high school. I read The Feminine Mystique while I was rocking your dad to sleep when he was a baby. I didn’t act on its message then–I had three kids under four to take care of–but I sure took care of that later. I often sang around the house or in the car without realizing it. I don’t do it so often any longer because I don’t have much of a voice now. I also hate horror movies. I saw Psycho–that was it for me. My hair has always been curly. One of my water aerobics acquaintances calls me “Curly.” She doesn’t know my name. I shouldn’t be doing this because I need to get ready for a Kansas Authors Club meeting Saturday and I’m trying to get laundry done, but, well, it will all get taken care of.

Ha! That’s what happens to me when I read blogs. Hope you got your laundry done. πŸ™‚

thank you for the love for my post and your kind words. makes my heart so full <3 loved learning more about you!! so cool that you were valedictorian. that's incredible. I have blue eyes. fav color is green and purple πŸ™‚
    xoxo

4. Awwww, I loved learning more about you! I’ve also read Harry Potter more times than I can count. Something about me: I know almost all of the songs, all the parts from the Les Mis musical by heart.

This was such a neat idea! It helps me get a better picture of the Joyce behind the Hungry Caterpillar.
    Any ideas on what you’re going to bed for Halloween this year??
    Totally relate to #14. If I had a dollar for every time someone was shocked that I was over 16….
    Oooh, what house would you be sorted into? Can’t remember if I’ve already asked you this or not!! πŸ™ˆπŸ™Š So sorry if I have!

A fun fact about myself: My graduating class for elementary school was 7!

According to Pottermore, I’m a Hufflepuff. How ’bout you?

6. It’s quite a pleasure to get to know you better. Cats are my favorite too. Something not related to food or fitness…I was born in Ireland. We moved back to the states when I was two years old though, so I don’t remember a thing.

I didn’t know that! How neat!

7. Quill says:

About #5, I see a lot of swing dancers saying “I’m not very good,” or “I’m a bit rusty,” but they turn out to be great. Possibly including myself. Might just be something about the Swing Dance type to be under-confident, and certainly not boastful, about their ability.
    #10 you’ve mentioned how much fun you have with your grammar lessons, involving things like Harry Potter. Most people probably hear “grammar” and check out right away, hope your lessons help (and they give you a chance before checking out).
    #20 your eyes look more yellow to me, in a way I’ve never seen or even heard of on any other human. Very unique.