Alyssa of the wonderful blog Blissful Lyss did a post recently about having passions other than fitness and food. Not only is it a wonderful post, but it boils down, I think, what so many of us are trying to do in this community: to create/re-establish/celebrate an identity that’s apart from our desire to control our bodies, and to encourage others to do the same.
In honor of Lyss’s post, I thought it might be fun for you, my lovely readers, to know a little more about me that you might not know. Because, I do, indeed, have an identity beyond this blog, beyond my history with disordered eating, beyond the workouts I do and the food I eat, beyond my digestive disorder. All those things are important to me for various reasons, but they’re not who I am.
And because I recently turned 25, I thought it might be fun to share 25 little factoids about myself for 25 years of life.(But first one more food thing: my roommate got me this gorgeous gluten-free birthday cake. It was divine!)
1. I was named after my grandmother, who died very young.
2. As an undergraduate, I was a German minor. If I’d completed six more credit hours, I would have been a major.
7. All members of my immediate family graduated from and now work for the same university.
8. For my sixteenth birthday, I got one ear pierced. I still only have one ear pierced.
9. I identify as agnostic.
10. My favorite lessons to teach are the grammar lessons.
11. I have been a cow for three Halloweens and Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz for three Halloweens.
14. I frequently get mistaken for a teenager and sometimes younger.
15. I long ago lost track of how many times I’ve read the Harry Potter books.
16. Besides Harry Potter, I actually don’t much care for fantasy literature.
13. I turn into a pumpkin at midnight (e.g. I’m not a night owl.)
17. I once ran a straightener through my hair and it made no difference whatsoever.
18. I spend change.
21. If I hadn’t been an English major or a German major, my third choice would have been Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
22. I frequently start singing without realizing I’m singing unless someone else joins in.
23. I never dated anyone until I turned 21.
24. I really like coupons.
25. I have zero ability to watch horror movies.
Your turn! Tell me something (unrelated to food or fitness) that I might not know about you.