What I Do After Eating More than Usual

I’ve had a busy weekend! There was a huge music festival in Fort Collins this weekend called New West Fest. It goes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, with five different stages and over 80 bands, including a couple big names. Merchants set up tents selling everything from tie-dye to solar panels, and food trucks and local food vendors sell all kinds of fair fare. Saturday morning, I also did a Fort Collins Cycling Club ride, which they sponsor every year to raise money for a member of the club who was paralyzed in a cycling accident a number of years ago. I did the “intermediate” option, which was objectively not that far but the farthest I’d ridden in a long time. It was a beautiful route through the foothills northwest of Fort Collins. I decided not to lug the camera on the ride, but I’ll need to get up there with the camera sometime.

All Saturday after the ride, I was a very hungry caterpillar.

Between going out to eat with friends, chomping on festival food, and being more hungry than usual, I of course ate more than usual. I think I maybe overshot my hunger some on Saturday night, although I was also very bloated from my IBS, which makes it hard to tell.

I know that for many of my readers, and for me at one point in my life, eating more than usual and feeling very full can be quite upsetting. It can feel like panic, like you have to do something to reverse this mistake. Which then leads back into habits like dieting, “detox” cleanses, overexercising, and various other forms of ignoring your body.

But as I wrote about recently, eating more than usual is normal, even if it makes you feel a little crummy.

This is what I do after I eat more than usual: I eat again when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full.

Sometimes, yeah, I do end up eating less than usual on a day after I’ve eaten more than usual–because I’m not as hungry, not because I’m ignoring my hunger.

Often, though, my hunger levels are about the same as usual. And so I eat the same amount as usual: for me, three square meals and a number of snacks.

And what do I eat? I eat what’s convenient, and I eat what sounds satisfying. Whether that’s a salad or gummy bears.I’m not going to pretend like this is easy for someone with anxiety around food. Did I have anxiety this weekend? Sure; I just don’t act on that kind of anxiety anymore.

Still, I find it ironic that anxiety can make things seem so incredibly difficult when they really are so incredibly simple.

Linking up with Amanda to share these thoughts for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.

Do you struggle with anxiety? What’s something that your anxiety makes waaaaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be?

I think it was one of the hardest lessons in my recovery to trust that – after eating “too much” or feeling really full – that my body will be able to actually break it all down and become hungry again. Its like this irrational fear that if you eat too much your body will never be able to come back “down” again. I think it has to come down to a lot of time and a number of experiences to convince yourself to trust your body. That it will become hungry again.

Yes! Me too. I have such an irrational fear of not being hungry again. But I always am!

2. Kat says:

Duuuuuude. What kind of gummy bars are those?! Those colors are unreal! Sorry – I totally missed the point of the post, didn’t I? 😉
    The day after binging was always the hardest for me in recovery. Basically when my body signaled that it was hungry again I would just ignore it, thinking that because I had ate so much the day before it couldn’t possibly need more calories today. Thankfully that isn’t my thought process anymore!

I don’t know what kind they are! I got them in the bulk bin at Sprouts.

3. While it’s still uncomfortable for me to experience occasional days of non-stop hunger that can’t be satisfied, I’ve mostly come to terms with it. Honestly, every normal eater has days of eating more and days of eating less. I think remembering the big picture, even when several of those extra hungry days happen back to back is important. One or two days of potentially overshooting won’t do any harm.

4. Fellow Coloradian here, so I love hearing about things we need to try!!

New West Fest is so fun! Definitely check it out if you get a chance!

Love that you made it so simple Joyce. That festival sounds so fun! We live in a pretty small town here in CO so we don’t have many festivals. We do have a big one in June. 🙂 And it’s so true that after I eat a lot I often just eat small amounts of what sounds good. It always works so well.

What a fun weekend! Which artists were your favorite to watch?
    I can definitely relate to this. Something I’ve realized throughout my recovery process is that I don’t like feeling uncomfortable whether this be emotional *cough* vulnerability *cough*, or even physical, i.e. feelings of extreme fullness. It’s hard to trust too that sometimes I need to eat even when I’m not necessarily hunger especially at this phase of weight restoration still. I am constantly reminding myself that these feelings of fullness are temporary too.