This healthy and filling low-FODMAP chicken dish is a great way to use your summer produce. It’s low-FODMAP, gluten-free and easily made dairy-free, too.
Like these cookies, this chicken quinoa bowl recipe is another one of those recipes that I’ve made again and again, tweaking as I go. The original recipe is from Betty Crocker–you can check it out here. I’ve made it a little easier each time I’ve made it and, in my humble opinion, a little tastier, plus I’ve adapted to be safe for the elimination phase of the low-FODMAP diet. Hooray!There’s a few things I love about this recipe. First, I often think of chicken dishes as kind of boring, but this is definitely not boring. I’m always impressed by how flavorful the chicken turns out by sauteeing it in a little bit of garlic oil with paprika, oregano and salt. I also have mixed feelings about quinoa, but I think the flavor of the quinoa works really well in this dish, pairing nicely with the fresh veggies and feta.
I also love fresh tomato recipes. And this is the perfect time for a fresh tomato recipe!I always think it’s funny when people start transitioning to full-on pumpkin mode on September 1. Pumpkins are great, but tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, peppers, and other summer veggies are still going strong through September. I’d rather save the pumpkin ’til October, myself. Just my little two cents.
Anyway…if your garden’s got tomatoes and cucumbers growing out the ears or you can’t resist buying a great big stack of ’em at the farmers’ market, I recommend giving this easy gluten-free and allergy-friendly recipe a try.
For dairy-free, simply omit the feta.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/3 cup diced green onion stems
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp. garlic-infused oil
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Feta cheese, for topping
- Add the quinoa and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the tomatoes, cucumber and green onion. Toss in a medium bowl with the olive oil, juice of the half lemon, 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
- Dice the chicken breast into chunks. Heat the garlic-infused oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sautee, seasoning with the paprika, black pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. oregano. Turn chicken to ensure even cooking on all sides.
- Distribute the quinoa, chicken and salad among bowls. Sprinkle everything with feta cheese.