Trendy Health Foods I Don’t Eat Much

Seafood

There are a few fish I’m okay with. Namely: salmon and canned tuna. I’ll also occasionally eat fried fish if it’s very bland and doesn’t taste like fish.

When fish tastes like fish, though, I generally say ‘no, thank you.’

Zoodles

Never tried ’em. They look kinda fun, but a spiralizer is just too expensive. I have a small kitchen, darn it!

Kombucha

I have tried it once and I thought it was alright. But–same as above–can’t afford it.

RX Bars

I tried one once. The flavor was meh and it got stuck in my teeth. I decided I like cookies better.

Cauliflower

I like cauliflower. But I eat it as a vegetable–not as pizza crust or quiche crust or a base for vanilla pudding.

Coconut Oil

Too expensive.

Acai

Honestly I’ve just never gotten around to trying it.

Hemp Seed

I have flax and chia in the fridge–but there’s only so much room!

Coconut Aminos, Avocado Oil, etc.

How many bottles can you keep in your cabinets, really?

Avocado

I love avocado–but anything more than about two bites of it gives me terrible bloating and stomach cramps!

***

What’s my point in telling you all this?

My point is that, no matter how many health benefits the latest “superfood” touts, you don’t have to eat it. I regularly eat all kinds of foods that are nutritious but aren’t crazy trendy. Oats, bananas, potatoes, milk, oranges, spinach, broccoli, chocolate, peanut butter, cheese…these foods all give me lots of things my body needs. And I do eat a few trendier “health” foods like edamame and quinoa–that’s okay too.

Marketers want you to buy their products–and that’s why they’re marketing their coconut-water-acai-hemp-mango-kale-chia-brazil-nut-avocado-carrot beverage to you. And marketing works, which is why we see these things suddenly explode all over everywhere from Instagram to the snack food section of the convenience store.

But your chocolate milk or peanut butter and banana are just as nutritious as they ever were. If those foods were also “new” (which is to say, new to parts of the world that produce the most mass media), you’d better believe marketers would be all over those too.

So just focus instead on eating a wide variety of food that you enjoy. Try new things if you want, sure, but don’t stress if the latest “superfood” doesn’t become the staple of your diet.

Title Image Source

Do you have a favorite trendy food? How about a least favorite trendy food?

1. Emily J. M. says:

Thank you for a sensible post on ‘super’ foods – they are few and far between! Although often the reason I don’t jump on the bandwagon is not because I don’t like/want to try the food, but because I don’t want to pay that much for it!

Same. I’m all for trying new things, but I also like having enough in my bank account to pay the bills. 😛

haha rx bars do get stuck in your teeth. and kind bars hurt your jaw bc they’re so dang crunchy lol. fav trendy food is def kombucha- i know i know… so basic of me. that, peanut butter banana toast, or acai bowls. yummm

Yup. It’s like exercise to eat ’em! I keep meaning to try kombucha again. I mean, I figure I’m obsessed with tea, and kombucha is just fermented tea, right? But I never get around to it.

I do like my “superfoods” but mostly the ones I can make myself. I get the most pleasure knowing I am eating something super “healthy” with lots of good things for me but that is also homemade and the closest to the ground as possible. Like making my own ghee and kombucha…. I’d never pay out for the stuff in the stores. And this way I get my creative self involved, too.

I love how you make your own versions of things, Cora! A very creative person, in the kitchen as in all things.
      My concern with this post is not that it’s wrong to enjoy these foods. 🙂 It’s just to reassure folks not to be anxious if they can’t or don’t want to eat them.

This is spot on! Most foods in their whole, unprocessed form are superfoods! Back home, I had more access to “superfoods” because I could buy they inexpensively at a discount grocer, but now that I’m in college, I’m learning to embrace the lesser known, less expensive superfoods. Bananas are a favorite. They’re so versitile!

Yes–eating habits definitely have to change in college. That transition was very hard for me when I went through it. But there’s no need to stress about that change.
      And yay for bananas.

My least favorite dish that most ‘health’ personalities eat is chia pudding. I like chia seeds but when they become jelly just doesn’t jell with me (pun intended 😉 ) I like when they add a crunch though. I also can’t get behind this collagen trend.
    On the other side, I do like most other ‘superfoods’ out of their sheer deliciousness: kombucha, kale, quinoa, sweet potatoes. Though I agree most of the foods are way too expensive for my twenty-something budget.

I actually kinda like chocolate chia pudding. But yeah–it does have a very particular texture. Good thing sweet potatoes are almost always affordable!