Currently: September 2017

I forgot to do a Currently for the month of August! Oh well. Here’s a little of what life has looked like so far in September.

Current accomplishment: I’ve been teaching as a GTA for a number of years now, but this is my first semester teaching as a full-time adjunct. Hooray employment–and hooray for a job I really enjoy!

Current excitement: Next weekend I’m going to a big swing dance event in Denver called Lindy on the Rocks. 💃🏻 It’ll be exhausting, but if it’s anything like other swing dance weekend events I’ve gone to, I’ll learn so so much.

Currently listening to: “I’m Still Standing” by Elton John. It came up on the radio on Saturday and I can’t get it out of my head ever since. Which is okay for now because it’s a great song. I totally started dancing to the music in my head on Monday while I was teaching. It’s a good thing my students already know I’m weird.

Currently reading: I just finished Where the Water Goes by David Owen, which is a fascinating read, and I started Ogallala Road by Julene Bair. There’s a theme here: quickly disappearing water in the western United States. 🙁

Speaking of water…

Current non-guilty pleasure: Fuzzers and I hung out at his pool on Sunday. I hadn’t actually been at a pool in years, so that was kinda fun.Current food: Tomatoes. What would life be without homegrown tomatoes? (Or locally farmed, in this case.)

Farmers’ market haul

Current bane of existence: I’m relatively bane-of-existence-free for the time being, although that might change when my 92 students’ papers come in.

Current confession: Sometimes I secretly hope a couple of students will neglect to turn their papers in to lighten my grading load. Is that terrible?

Currently watching: Should I even include this one anymore? Star Trek: Next Generation, of course.

Linking up with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.

Your turn! What’s your current excitement?

Yay for soaking the last summer days–pool fun, tomatoes and low-stress!
    Hahaha you are not a terrible person at all. That confession of yours made me smile right now.
    My current excitement is my trip to New York to see friends at the end of the month! It seems like ages away though it’s only a few weeks. Crazy how 2017 just won’t slow down.

That’s a long trip from Texas. Hope you have an awesome time with your friends!

Hooray for being a full-time adjunct! It must be exhausting work (How DO professors manage to grade billions of assignments and keep their sanity?), but I’m sure you’re thriving. Your students are lucky to have you. There are few words that can adequately describe my love for homegrown tomatoes. They have a unique summer smell, feel, and of course taste. Be sure to tell us about the swing dance event. I know nothing about swing dancing, or dancing in general, but I’m always game to learn.

I’ll be sure to keep you posted! Hope the semester’s starting out well for you, too, Vangie. 🙂

Of course, you should watch Star Trek: Next Generation. I’m still a Star Trek fan and I will always be. As for your wish for fewer papers, I feel your pain. Those grading sessions that lasted until 2 a.m. is what prompted me to finally leave teaching for good. We should have taught math.

Clearly I should have taken after my Grandma Joyce, who did teach math. 🙂 Kidding, of course–I really do enjoy my job.

4. Hooray for a job indeed – especially if it’s one that fulfills you. And hey: you’re confession would be mine, too, if I was in your place. 92 students? Whew! Dare I say: fingers crossed for you;)??
    Lindy on the rocks? My parents would be -so- up for that. If only they’d passed their dancing talent onto me … It always looks like so much fun but I have two left feet and no feeling for rhythms.

5. That swing dance event sounds fun!! I’d love something like that! I’d probably fall on my face but still… Haha